He starts the engine before driving off in a cloud of stinking smoke. You wrinkle your nose, turn onto a cycle path and - like every morning - finally leave all the stressed-out motorists behind you. You've made it, you know. You are one of those who leave their car in the garage, one of those who have acquired a taste for cycling and wonder why they didn't switch to a bike much earlier? Or don't know any other way ...There is hardly anything that does better justice to the combination of necessities and the simultaneous coverage of health and all environmentally friendly aspects than the use of a city bike. In more and more cities and districts, the cycling networks are being further expanded, and with them you can see the comfortable city bikes more and more often. They guarantee pleasant progress without annoying parking problems, indeed a comfortable stop right in front of your destination. Reliable components are built in, and city bikes have their own advantages, perfectly tailored to you, so that every ride through your city is a pleasure. At the same time, the ergonomics of these bikes guarantee the gentlest movement.
More and more men and women are getting the taste for a city bike. Low-entry bikes are becoming more and more popular. It doesn't matter whether joint or back problems are the reason for preferring a low entry, after all, a young father can use it to bring his offspring more safely to their destination, or even to do some heavy shopping. Reasons for using a city bike include the short distances that are better covered by bicycle instead of by car. For many people, it is also a more pleasant way of getting around, combined with necessary matters such as the daily ride to work, to the kindergarten or shopping at the weekly market. Environmentally friendly and health-conscious, journeys by city bike are more of an enrichment than a necessary evil, especially in comparison to the crowds caused by the daily avalanches of cars on our roads. Many newfound cyclists are also amazed to realise how much time can now be saved, after all, there are rarely traffic jams or gridlocked traffic on cycle paths ...
Riding an all-rounder
Your riding position is upright and relieving, like sitting on an office chair. The gel saddles, suspension seatposts and ergonomic handlebars are particularly comfortable. This gives you a good overview of what's going on around you. Since city traffic can be hectic, you need to be able to rely on your city bike's brakes, drivetrain (in the case of a motorised version) and good tyres. The basic equipment of your city bike also includes all-round roadworthy features, such as a bell, mudguards and kickstand, as well as a high-quality lighting system and a robust luggage rack. City paths can take you uphill and downhill. That's why city bikes are equipped with various gears, and you'll find exactly what you need. In general, hub gears require less maintenance, but you are spoilt for choice: you will find everything from a single gear to 24 gears. Your needs and the requirements of your everyday routes are decisive for your purchase decision.
For a city bike, expect a little more weight, which is due to the frame, which must be specially designed for the most comfortable progress possible and often also for easy access. The weight of special men's city bikes is often reduced. Their ergonomics remain somewhat sportier; however, the following applies to all of them: If a child seat is attached, low-entry bikes are obligatory. What you should always pay attention to yourself is a good tyre pressure for optimal rolling behaviour. Let us advise you or find out for yourself what is suitable for you by using the information provided on our website. For example, you can find size calculators on our site to help you make the right decision when it comes to frame size. City bikes meet special requirements to ensure the greatest possible safety in city traffic. So if you mainly ride in town, you'll do everything right with one of our city bikes. Choose the perfect model for you and choose between the versions: Men's and women's city bikes, touring bikes, cross bikes and fitness bikes.
Citybikes - the special features at a glance
- High comfort due to an upright and back-friendly seating position as well as a tailor-made geometry
- Comfortable, wide saddle supported with a suspension seatpost
- Easy to get on
- optimal equipment for full roadworthiness and safety - even in bad weather
- Matching choice of gears - tailor-made according to your individual needs
- High durability and comparatively cheap purchase compared to sportier bikes
Our tips for you:
- Do yourself some good with a suspension fork to make it easier to negotiate kerbs or more comfortable when riding over cobbles
- Get wider tyres for maximum comfort, maybe even a puncture-proof one so you don't have to worry about glass splinters or the like
- When adjusting the saddle, make sure your joints are in a position that is easy on your knees. This will help you reach your destination
- Prefer to aluminium frames. They are more durable and lighter, and there is a wider range of bikes to choose from.
- Choose hydraulic disc brakes or rim brakes, as they require less maintenance.
- Look for a sturdy and strong side stand that can support the additional weight of up to 25 kg, because even with shopping on the rack, your bike should stand safely next to you
- A nice alternative to a walk through the park is a short tour with your city bike through a nearby idyll. Enjoy your comfortable bike to the fullest, use it for relaxation as well.
Full flexibility, your look, safety at the highest level, all-round equipment, maximum practicality, and all that without sacrificing visual sophistication - our city bikes fulfil all that!